Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Invited

The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you." (Luke 1:28 NIV)

I don't know about you, but I would be struggling to keep calm if an angel of the Lord appeared to me with a message.  This just isn't a part of my everyday experience.  I encounter plenty of people whom God works through, but I've never encountered a face to face discussion with an angel.

Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over Jacob's descendants forever; his kingdom will never end." (Luke 1:29-33 NIV)

Mary is being invited to ministry.  I know this may sound strange to look at it this way, but she is.  God has a plan.  Mary has a part to play in that plan.  So, God sends an angel to inform Mary of the plan and invite her to participate with her specific role.

This is much like God's invitation to us.  We are invited by God to join Him in His Kingdom work.  God has a plan.  You and I have a part in that plan.  God invites us to live out that part.  Perhaps we learn about it from reading Scripture.  Maybe we hear a sermon or worship song and God speaks through those words.  The Holy Spirit may be nudging at you without any of these other God-inspired tools.  Whatever the way, God invites us.  The question, then, is how we respond.

So, have you heard God's call in your life yet?  Do you know how God wants you to participate in His plan?  Have you responded yet?  How will you respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment