I know it's common to make New Year's resolutions around this time of the year. It's a great time for wiping the slate clean, starting with a blank piece of paper, and writing what you want on the days yet to come.
The LORD nullifies the counsel of the nations; He frustrates the plans of the peoples. (Psalms 33:10 NASB)
Without consultation, plans are frustrated, But with many counselors they succeed. (Proverbs 15:22 NASB)
Perhaps this is because my resolutions were always personal. I will do this. I will do that. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with personal growth and development. When I would share these plans with the people closest to me, though, I could tell right away that the plans didn't make sense to them. Maybe I should have talked with some people I trusted. Maybe then, I would have ended up with better resolutions for my year.
Many plans are in a man's heart, But the counsel of the LORD will stand. (Proverbs 19:21 NASB)
Now that I think about it, maybe I should have prayed about those resolutions. I really didn't ask God's opinion about those resolutions in the past. I could have checked God's Word for counsel as well. That may have changed my resolve. I may have made completely different resolutions then.
The counsel of the LORD stands forever, The plans of His heart from generation to generation. (Psalms 33:11 NASB)
When God lays out a plan, it lasts for the whole year. In fact, it lasts for a whole lifetime. No, it lasts longer than that. It lasts from generation to generation. Maybe I shouldn't have been coming up with my own personal resolutions at all. Maybe I should have been turning to God for my priorities that year. Maybe then I would have been turning back year after year and seeing what God had convicted me to resolve and seen God's result in my life. Maybe my new year's resolution should have been to grow in my walk together with God.
Jesus grew in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and all the people. (Luke 2:52 NLT)
Jesus grew in his walk together with the Father. I am trying to be Christ-like. Maybe...no definitely...yest that is a worthwhile resolve. I will draw near to God this year and walk with Him each day. That is my resolution.
How about you? Will you resolve to walk together with God this year? Will it last longer than a month? What's your New Year's resolution?
No comments:
Post a Comment