Pages

Friday, November 28, 2014

My Flock

Then Jesus told them this parable: "Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn't he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent. (Luke 15:3-7 NIV)

Jesus often used parables and metaphors to talk about God's Kingdom.  Sometimes he would use the picture of a shepherd working with sheep.

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. (John 10:27 NIV)

Jesus talked about his followers using terms that made sense in his day.  Shepherds each have a unique call to which only their sheep will respond.  Sheep do not respond to another shepherds call.  Jesus is the shepherd.  We are his sheep.

I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. (John 10:16 NIV)

The Jews knew they were God's chosen people, but Jesus said that more sheep would be added.  Starting with his ministry, all people are in his flock.  We are all his sheep.  Some of us do a better job of hearing and responding, but all of us are called to follow His voice.

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. (John 21:15-17 NIV)

Before ascending into heaven, Jesus implored his disciples to care for his sheep.  The sheep remain the possession of the Good Shepherd, but are in the physical care of people who are right here.  You and I are called to be shepherds here on behalf of the Good Shepherd who watches over us.
Obey your spiritual leaders, and do what they say. Their work is to watch over your souls, and they are accountable to God. Give them reason to do this with joy and not with sorrow. That would certainly not be for your benefit. (Hebrews 13:17 NLT)

Each of us is entrusted with a part of His flock.  Are you married?  Your spouse is the first person you care for and serve.  Do you have children?  Watch over them as members of His flock.  Are you single?  Every relationship you have is with members of His flock.  Are you helping them hear and follow His voice?  Do you hear and follow His voice?  

What kind of sheep are you?  What kind of shepherd are you?  What will you say when you give your account?

No comments:

Post a Comment