Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Pray for Wisdom

People pray in many different ways. One may go off to a quiet place to meditate on God's Word. Another may write in a journal as their time of prayer. Yet another may talk with God while driving the car on the long commute to work. There is no one "right" style of prayer. The topic of our prayer, however can make a big difference in God's response.

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. (James 1:5 NIV)

Often times when people ask me to pray for something in their life, I gladly lift up their request before God. Sometimes, though, I know that God's answer will be, "no" because what they ask is against God's clear will as described in Scripture. Other times I find myself wondering what God's response will be. The prayer request is for something that could be God's will, but it could be just as easily not. Sometimes, though, the request is for something God clearly tells us we will receive. Wisdom is one of those prayers. When I pray for wisdom, God says it will be given to me.

But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do. (James 1:6-8 NIV)

The request, though, must be coupled with faith. I must trust God to give me the wisdom I ask to receive. This is why it doesn't automatically "work" when I pray for someone else to get wisdom. They may not believe in God. They may not trust God. They may not expect God to give them wisdom. They may not even want it! I can ask for wisdom for myself, though, and know that God will provide it for me. So can you. God gave His Word.

This doesn't stop me from praying for others. This kind of prayer is called "intercessory" prayer. We "intercede" spiritually so that, perhaps, distractions, temptations, and even spiritual attacks may be removed from the picture. Even if the relief is temporary, it can give the person I am praying for some relief from the struggle and a better opportunity to encounter God. (I always ask God to do it in such a way that they see Him.) Praying for others is good. It is worth every moment in prayer.

So we have not stopped praying for you since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you complete knowledge of His will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. (Colossians 1:9 NLT)

How about you? Do you pray for wisdom? Do you trust God to provide it? Do you believe God will say "yes" to that kind of prayer every time? Do you pray for others as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment