Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Give Willingly

Giving in the New Testament seems to take on a new dimension. Jesus supported the giving system of the Old Testament. He paid his temple tax when it was time (Matthew 17:24-27). He even supported the tithe system that supported the priests and other Levites. While supporting this kind of giving, though, Jesus also took the opportunity to teach.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. (Matthew 23:23 NIV)

Giving ten percent of our income can seem like it is a lot of money. That's because it is a lot of money. I'll never forget the first time I started to tithe. I was making enough money at the time that it was more than an expensive car payment. I would have to fight off the feeling that I could use that money for something "more important." Ten percent really starts to get your attention.

As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. "Truly I tell you," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on." (Luke 21:1-4 NIV)

You see, giving is not about a specific dollar amount. It's not even about a specific percentage. Giving to God is an act of worship of God. When we give gifts to God, we remind ourselves that everything belongs to God. What we have has been entrusted into our care for the span of our lives. We don't really own anything. Once we release money in this way, it becomes easier to give cheerfully. The money is not about us. It's about helping others in need.

I really don't need to write to you about this ministry of giving for the believers in Jerusalem. For I know how eager you are to help, and I have been boasting to the churches in Macedonia that you in Greece were ready to send an offering a year ago. In fact, it was your enthusiasm that stirred up many of the Macedonian believers to begin giving. But I am sending these brothers to be sure you really are ready, as I have been telling them, and that your money is all collected. I don't want to be wrong in my boasting about you. We would be embarrassed—not to mention your own embarrassment—if some Macedonian believers came with me and found that you weren't ready after all I had told them! So I thought I should send these brothers ahead of me to make sure the gift you promised is ready. But I want it to be a willing gift, not one given grudgingly. (2 Corinthians 9:1-5 NLT)

How about you? Do you give willingly? Do you find joy in giving? Do you know that your gifts are being used for God's purposes?

No comments:

Post a Comment