Following, for us, has been simplified. All we need to do is follow Jesus and then God promises to make a home with us. Following Jesus is the same as following God.
He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. (John 14:24 NIV)
Jesus explains that this is simply because Jesus followed the Father in heaven. When Jesus teaches, God teaches. When Jesus warns, the Father is warning. When Jesus forgives, our Father in heaven forgives us. Jesus, whom we were able to see and hear, was the physical embodiment of a God whom we could not see and hear. Jesus' teachings, then, make it easier for us to follow God because Jesus was so perfectly led by the Father. Jesus was a led leader.
"All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (John 14:25-26 NIV)
We can be led leaders, too. The same Spirit who was dwelling in Jesus now dwells in us who are in Christ Jesus. The same Father who led Jesus Counsels us through His Spirit. All of it works together in perfect unity so that following one results in following the other. They all (Father, Son, Spirit) lead us to the same truth and to following the same God. When we do, it is a beautiful picture.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27 NIV)
How about you? Do you follow God? Does it result in peace? Or, do you follow the world, which leaves you afraid? Who leads you? Where do you lead others?
No comments:
Post a Comment