Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Gentleness Draws People

I don't know if you've ever noticed it before, but you can tell a lot about a dog by simply trying to pet it. When I reach out my hand to pet a dog I've never met, it's reaction will tell me how it has been treated in the past. A well-trained dog will sit still and wait for my hand to complete it's journey. It may want to move or make a sound, but its training will take over and it will simply sit and watch. An aggressive dog will growl at you, perhaps taking a stance that tells you, "Back off!" A dog that is used to being beaten will flinch and cower, maybe even letting out a little yelp to express its fear. The dog reacts to the movement of the hand.

Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone. (Titus 3:1-2 NIV)

People react much the same way. An aggressive approach toward a person will evoke a strong reaction from that person. Their reaction will reflect their training, aggression, or even fear pretty quickly. The problem with these reactions is that they close down healthy communications or even the possibility for a relationship. Perhaps that is why Jesus approached people with gentleness.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30 NIV)

Women and children definitely experienced gentleness from Jesus. Even men who were far away from God experienced gentleness as well. Sinners, tax collectors, and fishermen all experienced the gentleness of Jesus. That's because Jesus was sent to seek and save the lost. That's also because Jesus knew that gentleness draws people to us. Once they come to us, we can point them to our Father in heaven who sent us.

How about you? Do you treat people with gentleness? Do you remember how Jesus treated people with gentleness? When people draw near to you, do you point them to our Father in heaven?

No comments:

Post a Comment