Pages

Monday, September 21, 2015

Gentleness

But the fruit of the Spirit is...gentleness. (Galatians 5:22-23 NIV)

It seems strange, as a man, to be teaching about gentleness. Maybe that's because there is a part of me that wants to slay the dragon, conquer the next hill, and rescue the damsel in distress. Perhaps it is the part of me that wants to follow in the steps of Tim the Tool Man and rev up the power tools to maximum capacity. More than that, it's probably because, out of all the Spirit-fruit discussed here, this is the one I have traditionally had the most difficulty living out.

Different "outbursts" have ruined my spirit of gentleness over the years. Sometimes I can't keep my mouth shut because I have something "brilliant" to say. At other times, I get angry, especially when I see one person hurting another person, and I haven't held back my verbal harpoon at the perceived aggressor. Sometimes, my excitement about a topic or event has simply overwhelmed the person I was speaking with. I was anything but gentle.

This week is good for me, then. I will need these posts to remind me how important gentleness is to God and His plan for our lives. It not only reminds me of the importance, but it helps me see different ways to be gentle when working with people. I need to remind myself to love God and love people, being humble and gentle in heart.

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. (Colossians 3:12 NIV)

How about you? Do you find it easy or difficult to be gentle? Why do you think that is?

No comments:

Post a Comment