Pages

Friday, April 21, 2017

Another Reason to Let Jesus Be King

Jesus regularly spoke of God’s Kingdom.  The model prayer he gave us says, “Your Kingdom come…”  When Jesus was about to die, he told his closest followers that the would be a part of His Kingdom.

"You have stayed with Me in My time of trial. And just as My Father has granted Me a Kingdom, I now grant you the right to eat and drink at My table in My Kingdom. And you will sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. (Luke 22:28-30 NLT)

Jesus never backed down when asked about being a King and having a Kingdom.  Remember what he said to Pilate when he was on trial for “claiming to be a king?”

Jesus answered, "My Kingdom is not an earthly kingdom. If it were, My followers would fight to keep Me from being handed over to the Jewish leaders. But My Kingdom is not of this world." (John 18:36 NLT)

When he was about to die, two criminals were crucified right next to him – one on the right and another on the left.  One spoke with anger against Jesus, telling him to save all of them.  The other reacted with fear and repentance for his sin.  Do you remember what happened next?

Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:42-43 NIV)

Jesus didn’t just offer Kingdom membership to the twelve and the criminal next to him who repented.  He spoke to all of us about being a part of His Kingdom.   Remember the story about the Son of Man (Christ) becoming king?

"But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit upon His glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered in His presence, and He will separate the people as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep at His right hand and the goats at His left. "Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed by My Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed Me. I was thirsty, and you gave Me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited Me into your home. I was naked, and you gave Me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for Me. I was in prison, and you visited Me.' (Matthew 25:31-36 NLT)

When Jesus arose from the dead, he confirmed all of his talk about God’s Kingdom, our invitation to join, and Him (Jesus) being the King.

How about you?  Do you see all the Kingdom language that Jesus used to describe what God is building?  Have you accepted the invitation from Jesus to join the Kingdom?  Do you allow Jesus to be your King?

No comments:

Post a Comment