Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thankful for The Call

Last night we had “pie night” at Life Bridge Christian Church of Valparaiso, IN.  This long-honored tradition (14 years) has seen a lot of different ways of eating pie.  (It’s probably better if you don’t ask.)  Every year, though, we have put the LORD at the center of the evening and we have given thanks to God for every good and perfect gift.  Last night, we did it again.  We ate pie and we gave thanks to God.

After pie night, Traci and I have another tradition.  Having spent time with our church family in Valpo, we then drive all night to Cincinnati to enjoy time with our other family  where we were raised.  Last year, it didn’t work out too well as we encountered two different car accidents.  (You can read about last year’s activities here.)  This year (thank you, LORD) we made it into Cinci with no problems at all.  It was smooth sailing all the way.

This year’s travels, though, were different from any of the prior years.  We didn’t have any of our kids or the dog with us.  Their work schedules through the holidays will keep us from coming together as a family this holiday season.  The car ride, as a result, was much more quiet than usual.  It gave me time to reflect on the calling that God has put our our hearts and how God continues to work in and through us this year.  The more I thought about it, the more grateful I became for our life, family, church-family, and ministry.  I thought about all the people I would have never met had I fought God off and ignored the call.  Now, looking back over these years, I find myself thankful for the call.

God is good all the time.  This is why I trust God and strive to walk with God all the time.  This is why I care so much about helping others do the same.  There is no better life than walking together with God.  There is no greater sense of fulfillment than helping another do the same. 

I don’t know what you are thankful for this year.  Perhaps it is for the good food you will enjoy through the holiday season.  Maybe you are thankful for special people who are a part of your life.  If you are, I join you in thanking God for these, too.  But this year, for whatever reason, I am also particularly thankful for the call.

Happy Thanksgiving.  May God pour out His blessings upon you during this season of Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment