Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Death

But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death." (Revelation 21:8 NIV)


This is a rather depressing picture, isn't it?  Rules can't be changed.  When I break the rules, it hurts me and even others around me.  The more I do it, the easier it is to keep doing it.  It's like falling down a deep hole - even bigger than a pothole.  The sides are smooth, impenetrable, and unscalable.  I'm stuck...until I die.


There was a day I would think about "big" sins and "little" sins.  I always categorized my shortcomings as "little" sins.  Somehow they were easier to deal with that way.  The consequences weren't as big...at least in my mind.  


I liked to think that until I read passages like the one quoted above.  Did you notice who will be thrown in the lake of burning sulfur experiencing the second death?  Look at the last category on the list: "all liars."  I'm not safe.  I have lied before.  It doesn't even give me an out for "little white lies" or "lying with good intentions."  Even if I never lie again I'm still a liar when you look at the timeline of my entire life.  


This is not good.  It's really bad news.  The wages of sin really is...death.

No comments:

Post a Comment