Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Should We Quit Building?

I enjoyed working construction as a young man.  I liked getting to the end of the day and seeing the results of my labor.  That foundation, that wall, that electrical system, that plumbing pipe network, that roof wasn't there this morning.  Now it is.  I did that.

Every Christ-follower is gifted to be a minister (Romans 12:6-8).  Every one of us is called to be a builder (1 Cor. 14:12) as well.  There's less immediate satisfaction and feedback in ministry - spiritual "building" if you will.  I can see why people wouldn't enjoy it as much as, for example, building a house or creating a work of art.  In ministry, we "build" into people regularly, often times with no tangible, visible result at the end of the day.  You can't look at your workmanship and say, "I did that."  So, what should we do, then.

 Should we quit building?

For no one can lay any foundation other than the one we already have—Jesus Christ. Anyone who builds on that foundation may use a variety of materials—gold, silver, jewels, wood, hay, or straw. But on the judgment day, fire will reveal what kind of work each builder has done. The fire will show if a person's work has any value. If the work survives, that builder will receive a reward. But if the work is burned up, the builder will suffer great loss. The builder will be saved, but like someone barely escaping through a wall of flames. (1 Corinthians 3:11-15 NLT)

There will be a day when we get to see the results of our work.  Building is hard - especially when you're doing work building up what appears to be an "invisible" kingdom.  It's not really invisible.  We just can't completely see it yet.  Sometimes we can catch glimpses of it, though.

Remember, the sins of some people are obvious, leading them to certain judgment. But there are others whose sins will not be revealed until later. In the same way, the good deeds of some people are obvious. And the good deeds done in secret will someday come to light. (1 Timothy 5:24-25 NLT)

Just because I cannot see the immediate results of my building efforts, I will not be discouraged or quit building.  I know that my workmanship can be seen elsewhere and that I will see the results someday.  I just keep building on the only foundation that will last for all of eternity - Jesus Christ.  I look forward to seeing the results someday.

How about you.  Will you quit building?

No comments:

Post a Comment