Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Get permission.

A God-driven plan to reach a city, county, state, or country is usually counter-intuitive at many levels.  God’s ways are higher than our ways.  That’s because God’s perspective is much better informed than ours.  When we have a heart for people and turn to God, then, we will probably encounter places where we are challenged by God’s Plan.

Early the following spring, in the month of Nisan, during the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes' reign, I was serving the king his wine. I had never before appeared sad in his presence. So the king asked me, "Why are you looking so sad? You don't look sick to me. You must be deeply troubled." Then I was terrified, (Nehemiah 1:11b - 2:2 NLT)

One of the places that God has challenged me over the years has to do with a statement I used to say a lot: “It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.”  I would say it, tongue in cheek, so I could forge ahead with the thing I wanted to do even without the approval of God or other people.  Over the years, though, God has taught me (often times the hard way) that there are two problems with this statement.

but I replied, "Long live the king! How can I not be sad? For the city where my ancestors are buried is in ruins, and the gates have been destroyed by fire." The king asked, "Well, how can I help you?" With a prayer to the God of heaven, I replied, "If it please the king, and if you are pleased with me, your servant, send me to Judah to rebuild the city where my ancestors are buried." (Nehemiah 2:3-5 NLT)

The first thing I learned had to do with the first part of the statement.  Forgiveness is not necessary unless I’ve done something wrong.  Saying it another way, “Forgiveness is not needed unless I sin.”  The thing is, God decides what is right and wrong.  If I truly take the time to get God’s Plan (consider yesterday’s post), then moving forward with my part of God’s Plan is not sin.  It is NEVER wrong to walk together with God.  It is also NEVER wrong to empower, equip, and encourage others to do the same.  It may be easier to ask for forgiveness, but I shouldn’t be doing something that is wrong in the first place!

The king, with the queen sitting beside him, asked, "How long will you be gone? When will you return?" After I told him how long I would be gone, the king agreed to my request. I also said to the king, "If it please the king, let me have letters addressed to the governors of the province west of the Euphrates River, instructing them to let me travel safely through their territories on my way to Judah. And please give me a letter addressed to Asaph, the manager of the king's forest, instructing him to give me timber. I will need it to make beams for the gates of the Temple fortress, for the city walls, and for a house for myself." And the king granted these requests, because the gracious hand of God was on me. (Nehemiah 2:6-8 NLT)

The second thing I learned really gets prioritized as the first: God is big enough to get me permission.  God is able to soften and harden the hearts of people.  God is able to swing the vote in what ever direction God wants.  God is able to control the objects used to cast lots.

When he opens doors, no one will be able to close them; when he closes doors, no one will be able to open them. (Isaiah 22:22b NLT)

When the plan is God’s Plan and God calls me to ask for permission, God will get me permission.  God will provide the way.

How about you?  Do you find it easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission?  Do you make sure you are following God’s Plan so there is no need for forgiveness?  When God sends you, do you ask for permission?  Does God provide the way?

No comments:

Post a Comment