Pages

Monday, September 25, 2017

Beyond the Kings

Last week when we finished up the book of Kings, you may have thought to yourself, “Finally, we’re done with this part of Biblical history!”  But, it’s not over yet.  You see, there are books of the Bible written during the time after Judah was defeated.  Scholars refer to it as the time of the Babylonian captivity.  (We can call it that, too.)

During the third year of King Jehoiakim's reign in Judah, King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon came to Jerusalem and besieged it. The Lord gave him victory over King Jehoiakim of Judah and permitted him to take some of the sacred objects from the Temple of God. So Nebuchadnezzar took them back to the land of Babylonia and placed them in the treasure-house of his god. (Daniel 1:1-2 NLT)

Daniel is one such book.  You may know the story of Daniel and the lion den.  But, did you know that Daniel’s story all took place during the Babylonian captivity?

The LORD took hold of me, and I was carried away by the Spirit of the LORD to a valley filled with bones. He led me all around among the bones that covered the valley floor. They were scattered everywhere across the ground and were completely dried out. Then He said to me, "Son of man, these bones represent the people of Israel. They are saying, 'We have become old, dry bones--all hope is gone. Our nation is finished.' (Ezekiel 37:1-2, 11 NLT)

Ezekiel is another such book.  The prophet Ezekiel brought messages from the LORD to the Israelites who had survived the battles and had been taken captive by the Babylonians.  Even in captivity, the LORD was communicating with and working with God’s chosen people of Israel.

Jerusalem has sinned greatly, so she has been tossed away like a filthy rag. All who once honored her now despise her, for they have seen her stripped naked and humiliated. All she can do is groan and hide her face. She defiled herself with immorality and gave no thought to her future. Now she lies in the gutter with no one to lift her out. "LORD, see my misery," she cries. "The enemy has triumphed." I cry out, "My splendor is gone! Everything I had hoped for from the LORD is lost!" The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words. I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. (Lamentations 1:8-9,18-20 NLT)

The remaining people, though, had a hard time seeing God reaching out.  They only saw the LORD punishing them for their disobedience and rebellion.  It would take a little while before they could see the possibility of God bringing good out of the ashes of the their defeat.

Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The faithful love of the LORD never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning. I say to myself, "The LORD is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in Him!" The LORD is good to those who depend on Him, to those who search for Him. So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the LORD. (Lamentations 3:21-26 NLT)

How about you?  Have you ever looked at the books written after the defeat of Judah?  Can you relate to the people who had been beaten and taken captive?  Have you ever had a hard time seeing how God could possibly use your circumstances for your good (Romans 8:28)?  Or, even in the toughest of circumstances, do you still dare to hope?

No comments:

Post a Comment