Pages

Friday, August 18, 2017

What will you do?

Jehu was called to do some very difficult ministries.  He was called by God to eliminate Baal worship and the worshippers from the land of Israel.  That meant going up against the existing power structures of his day.  It also meant putting people to death.  He didn’t ask for the call, but he was faithful to it.  So…

  • Jehu assassinated Joram and Ahazia (2 Kings 9:14-29).
  • Jehu executed Jezebel (2 Kings 9:30-37).
  • Jehu slaughtered Ahab’s descendants (2 Kings 10:1-17).
  • Jehu struck down the prophets of Baal (2 Kings 10:18-27).

In this way, Jehu destroyed every trace of Baal worship from Israel. (2 Kings 10:28 NLT)

Jehu was faithful to God and to God’s specific call on his life.  Baal worship was wiped out.  Worship for the LORD was reinstated.

He did not, however, destroy the gold calves at Bethel and Dan, with which Jeroboam son of Nebat had caused Israel to sin. (2 Kings 10:29 NLT)

His work was not perfect.  While the people worshipped the LORD once again, they were worshipping in places other than the Temple in Jerusalem.

Sometimes I find myself tempted to not take the next step with God because I might not get it right.  I want to walk with God, but I want it to be a perfect walk.  Even if I get that step 99% right but I fall short with 1% of it, I tend to focus on the 1% that I got wrong.  That shortfall is used against me to try to get me not to do the 99% either.  But, when God prevails in my life, I take the next step, and then the next step, and then the next.  Even if it is imperfect, it becomes a walk together with God.

Nonetheless the LORD said to Jehu, "You have done well in following My instructions to destroy the family of Ahab. Therefore, your descendants will be kings of Israel down to the fourth generation." (2 Kings 10:30 NLT)

How about you?  Do you hear God’s call for your life?  When you recognize it, are you tempted not to take it because you may not fulfill it perfectly?  Do you take the step anyway?  God is calling you to walk with Him.  What will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment