Pages

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Make It Real through Prayer

Moses encountered God at the burning bush and God brought Moses a message.

Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead My people Israel out of Egypt." (Exodus 3:10 NLT)

Moses heard God’s Word, but his first reaction was not to believe God’s Word, trust God’s Word, or to act upon God’s Word.  In fact, Moses’ reaction was exactly the opposite.  Notice what Moses did.

“Moses protested to God” (Exodus 3:11a [NLT]), “Moses protested” (Exodus 3:13a [NLT]), and “Moses protested again” (Exodus 4:1a [NLT]).  Each time, The LORD had an answer to Moses’ protests.  Each time, God did not let Moses off the hook.  Moses had a job to do.  Moses had a ministry to perform.  Moses was supposed to go to Pharaoh and tell him, “The LORD says, ‘Set my people free.’”

But Moses pleaded with the LORD, "O Lord, I'm not very good with words. I never have been, and I'm not now, even though You have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled." (Exodus 4:10 NLT)

Now Moses has moved from protesting to begging (pleading).  Once again, God is unmoved.  Moses still has a calling from God.

Then the LORD asked Moses, "Who makes a person's mouth? Who decides whether people speak or do not speak, hear or do not hear, see or do not see? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go! I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say." (Exodus 4:11-12 NLT)

I don’t know if you’ve ever thought of this process in this way, but Moses is praying to God here.  Prayer is simply conversation with God and Moses is having a conversation with God.  Moses heard God’s Word a whole chapter ago.  Moses knows what God is going to accomplish in general and the part that Moses is supposed to play specifically.  Moses likes God’s general plan, but is not too keen on his specific part.  So, he talks to God.  He protests to God.  He pleads with God.  He is making his faith real through prayer.

But Moses again pleaded, "Lord, please! Send anyone else." (Exodus 4:13 NLT)

How about you?  Do you accept God’s Word and your specific part of The LORD’s plan as soon as you hear it?  Or, like Moses, do you struggle with the specifics?  Do you talk to God about it?  Do you make your faith real through prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment