Pages

Thursday, May 4, 2017

The LORD Saves

Whenever I hear a modern-day follower of God talking, the word “saved” has a pretty specific meaning.  We ask people if they’ve gotten “saved” or if Jesus is their Lord and “Savior.”  This meaning is valid and is certainly filled with rich depth of understanding.  When people in Biblical days used the term, however, it often had a broader meaning.

I called on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and He saved me from my enemies. "The waves of death overwhelmed me; floods of destruction swept over me. The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death laid a trap in my path. But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I cried to my God for help. He heard me from His sanctuary; my cry reached His ears. (2 Samuel 22:4-7 NLT)

The Israelites held in slavery in Egypt had a much more pragmatic (practical) meaning of the word.  They wanted to be broken free from the physical bondage in Egypt.  When The LORD set them free, God immediately became their savior. 

David tapped into this meaning as well, because he experienced a lifetime of people who wanted him dead (Goliath, Philistines, Saul the king of Israel, Absalom his son, and many more).  David was credited for killing his tens of thousands in battle.  That’s because tens of thousands wanted him dead.  (Remember, David did not pick the battle with Goliath and the Philistines.  They came after him and the Israelites.)  David knew what it was like to be targeted, attacked, and saved.  David saw The LORD as his savior.

"Then the earth quaked and trembled. The foundations of the heavens shook; they quaked because of His anger. Smoke poured from His nostrils; fierce flames leaped from His mouth. Glowing coals blazed forth from Him. He opened the heavens and came down; dark storm clouds were beneath His feet. Mounted on a mighty angelic being, He flew, soaring on the wings of the wind. He shrouded Himself in darkness, veiling His approach with dense rain clouds. A great brightness shone around Him, and burning coals blazed forth. The LORD thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded. He shot arrows and scattered His enemies; His lightning flashed, and they were confused. Then at the command of the LORD, at the blast of His breath, the bottom of the sea could be seen, and the foundations of the earth were laid bare. "He reached down from heaven and rescued me; He drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemies, from those who hated me and were too strong for me. They attacked me at a moment when I was in distress, but the LORD supported me. He led me to a place of safety; He rescued me because He delights in me. (2 Samuel 22:8-20 NLT)

How about you?  Do you know what it is like to be targeted and attacked?  You still have life and breath and the ability to read this, so you are alive.  Do you see The LORD as your savior?

No comments:

Post a Comment