Pages

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Honor God

David, the king of Israel, was selected because he was a man after God’s own heart.  David clearly wanted to walk with God in everything he did.  He would turn to God in prayer, turn to God’s Word, and, when in doubt, just turn to God.  Now that he is king, he wants to honor God.

When King David was settled in his palace and the LORD had given him rest from all the surrounding enemies, the king summoned Nathan the prophet. "Look," David said, "I am living in a beautiful cedar palace, but the Ark of God is out there in a tent!" Nathan replied to the king, "Go ahead and do whatever you have in mind, for the LORD is with you." (2 Samuel 7:1-3 NLT)

David’s desire to honor God brings to mind a plan.  “I will build a house like mine to hold the Ark of the Covenant.”  In other words, “I will build a palace for God like mine.”  Even God’s prophet, Nathan, thinks this is a good idea until God comes to him with instructions for David.

But that same night the LORD said to Nathan, "Go and tell My servant David, 'This is what the LORD has declared: Are you the one to build a house for Me to live in? I have never lived in a house, from the day I brought the Israelites out of Egypt until this very day. I have always moved from one place to another with a tent and a Tabernacle as My dwelling. Yet no matter where I have gone with the Israelites, I have never once complained to Israel's tribal leaders, the shepherds of My people Israel. I have never asked them, "Why haven't you built Me a beautiful cedar house?"' (2 Samuel 7:4-7 NLT)

David would not build a house for The LORD.  This does not honor God.  David learns this lesson over and over again.  The LORD tells us what shows honor: to walk with God.  Buildings, sacrifices, and other gifts don’t do it.  God is honored when we talk with Him (in prayer) , listen to Him (through Scripture and prayer), and walk with Him (obey His commands).  David started learning this lesson the hard way when he brought the Ark of the Covenant back to the city of David (2 Samuel 6).  Now he is learning that lesson again.

How about you?  Do you know how to honor God?  Do you talk with God, listen to God, and obey God?  Do you honor God?

No comments:

Post a Comment