Pages

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Confirmed what the Scriptures Said

There’s more to the Old Testament Scriptures than just the writings of the prophets.  Historical books, like Kings or Chronicles, tell us the flow of historical events.  Wisdom books, for example, like Proverbs and Ecclesiastes are attributed to King Solomon.  The Song of Solomon is more poetry or a stage-play.  The Psalms were written as lyrics to music.  All of these are included in the Scriptures.  All of these are inspired by God. 

Jesus talked to the men on the road to Emmaus and explained, from the Prophets, how the Messiah was supposed to die and then rise from the dead.  They finally realized that it was Jesus speaking to them right before he disappeared.  They rushed back to the others to tell them what had happened.

And just as they were telling about it, Jesus Himself was suddenly standing there among them. "Peace be with you," He said. But the whole group was startled and frightened, thinking they were seeing a ghost! "Why are you frightened?" He asked. "Why are your hearts filled with doubt? Look at My hands. Look at My feet. You can see that it's really Me. Touch Me and make sure that I am not a ghost, because ghosts don't have bodies, as you see that I do." As He spoke, He showed them His hands and His feet. Still they stood there in disbelief, filled with joy and wonder. Then He asked them, "Do you have anything here to eat?" They gave Him a piece of broiled fish, and He ate it as they watched. (Luke 24:36-43 NLT)

None of his followers were easily convinced.  All of them had seen Jesus die.  Al of them were mourning his loss.  None of them expected Jesus to come back to life.  Jesus took the time that they needed to be convinced.  Then, he showed them how the Scriptures had predicted these events.

Then He said, "When I was with you before, I told you that everything written about Me in the law of Moses and the prophets and in the Psalms must be fulfilled." Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures. (Luke 24:44-45 NLT)

Jesus’ resurrection didn’t just confirm what he said about himself.  His death and resurrection didn’t just confirm what the prophets said about him for hundreds, even thousands, of years before.  His death and resurrection confirmed what all the Scriptures said about the Christ, the Messiah, the King.  Remember when Jesus was hanging on the cross and he called out, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?”  Well, he was pointing his hearers straight to a Psalm that they would have known and sung.

For the choir director: A psalm of David, to be sung to the tune "Doe of the Dawn." My God, my God, why have You abandoned me? Why are You so far away when I groan for help? (Psalms 22:1 NLT)

My enemies surround me like a pack of dogs; an evil gang closes in on me. They have pierced my hands and feet. I can count all my bones. My enemies stare at me and gloat. They divide my garments among themselves and throw dice for my clothing. (Psalms 22:16-18 NLT)

I will proclaim Your name to my brothers and sisters. I will praise You among your assembled people. Praise the LORD, all you who fear Him! Honor Him, all you descendants of Jacob! Show Him reverence, all you descendants of Israel! For He has not ignored or belittled the suffering of the needy. He has not turned His back on them, but has listened to their cries for help. (Psalms 22:22-24 NLT)

I will praise You in the great assembly. I will fulfill my vows in the presence of those who worship You. The poor will eat and be satisfied. All who seek the LORD will praise Him. Their hearts will rejoice with everlasting joy. The whole earth will acknowledge the LORD and return to Him. All the families of the nations will bow down before Him. For royal power belongs to the LORD. He rules all the nations. (Psalms 22:25-28 NLT)

How about you?  Do you see that Jesus’ death and resurrection confirmed what the Scriptures said?  Do you believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, the King?

No comments:

Post a Comment