Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Sometimes, God’s Call to Action is Personal

The angel of the LORD came to Gideon and called him a mighty warrior.  Gideon tried to avoid the whole warrior-discussion by asking why God had abandoned them, but the LORD kept them both on topic.

The LORD turned to him and said, "Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?" (Judges 6:14 NIV)

Sometimes, God’s call to action is personal.  Gideon was experiencing that personal call from God.  This conversation wasn’t just about what all of us are supposed to do.  This was about what Gideon was supposed to do.  God was calling him to lead the people into battle.

"Pardon me, my lord," Gideon replied, "but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family." (Judges 6:15 NIV)

When God gets personal, we get uncomfortable.  We can feel the eyes of God looking into our souls.  We want to ask questions, change the topic, and deflect God’s look to somewhere else.  But it never works.  God stays right there, ready to talk about what God wants to talk about.

The LORD answered, "I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive." (Judges 6:16 NIV)

How about you?  Have you experienced a personal call to action from God?  Did you find yourself uncomfortable, unworthy, or unable to fulfill that call?  How did you respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment