Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Patience for One More

I know it probably sounded like I was complaining yesterday, but that was not my intent. I was simply trying to communicate that I face long days, barriers, and roadblocks just like everyone else. Sometimes I need to patiently wait for things like computer systems to work. (After all, this was a computer system day and I am just getting to write this post at 1:50 a.m. before going to bed. That's alright, though. I didn't really start my day until 9 a.m. this morning, so it's a short day.) My point is that there are days or times I am tempted to say, "Lord Jesus, please return now," because I'm ready for the hard work to be done.

Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. (James 5:7-8 NIV)

Then I remember what my daughter once told me. She said, "Dad, I think I'm different from everyone else. I don't pray like they do." "What do you mean," I asked. "I don't want Jesus to return right way," she said. Then she started naming off family, friends, and other church attenders that she knew did not walk together with God. "I want Jesus to wait until they get baptized, too." I just smiled. "You keep on praying however you want," I told her.

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare. Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells. So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. (2 Peter 3:8-15 NIV)

So, how about you? Do you want Jesus to return right now or do you want Him to wait for someone you know? Are you willing to patiently wait for one more?

No comments:

Post a Comment