Pages

Monday, September 7, 2015

Kindness

We were just cleaning up around the house recently. Part of the cleaning process included moving and reorganizing DVDs and VCR tapes. (Back in my day, DVDs were called Tapes!) One of the tapes had a sticker on it because we had bought it used from a video rental store. The sticker said, "Be Kind. Rewind." I chuckled to myself because we don't rewind at all now. We just start at the chapter we want to watch on the DVD or Blu-Ray. It reminded me, though, of the many ways we use the word "kindness" in our society. Usually we just mean, "be nice."

But the fruit of the Spirit is...kindness… (Galatians 5:22 NIV)

When we read the word in Scripture, however, it takes on a different connotation. Kindness isn't just about being nice to people. It has to do with reflecting God to people. You may have heard the phrase, "You may be the only Jesus that someone ever meets." It's a good concept. It reminds us that, as Christ followers, we are sent by God to be Christ's ambassadors to the world. We are sent as His representatives. When we meet people who do not know Christ, we are there to represent Christ.

We put no stumbling block in anyone's path, so that our ministry will not be discredited. (2 Corinthians 6:3 NIV)

I must admit that this sentences causes me to pause. Paul says to the church in Corinth that he and co-ministers put no stumbling block in anyone's path. I don't know about you, but I find that to be a daunting standard to consider. Perhaps that is because I know I have been a stumbling block to people a times. Sometimes they stumble through no fault of my own. Other times, however, I know that the stumbling block is there because of my own shortcomings, limitations, or even sin. I can repent right away and even try to reconcile, but the damage is already done. At that moment, I was a poor representative of Christ.

Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; (2 Corinthians 6:3-6 NIV)

So, how about you? Are you kind to people? Does your kindness reach beyond just being nice? Does your kindness represent Jesus well to the people around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment