Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Love - A Sacrifice

The love that we find in Scripture is not only a command and a choice. Often times, it requires sacrifice.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:43-48 NIV)

It's one thing to love your spouse and children. It's another thing to love your next door neighbor or best friend at work. It is a completely different thing to love the person that you know hates you. It requires restraint. It requires self control. It requires God powerfully at work in your mind, heart, and body. Loving your enemies and praying for your persecutors takes sacrifice. We cannot give people what they deserve. Instead, we respond to their evil with good. When we do, we show ourselves as Christ-followers and true children of God.

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. (John 15:9-14 NIV)

How about you? Do you lay down your life for your friends? Do you love those who love you? Do you even love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you? Do you love even when it takes sacrifice?

No comments:

Post a Comment