Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jesus and Peace

It can be confusing to pursue peace, especially when Jesus himself seemed to teach against it.

"I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed! Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law." (Luke 12:49-53 NIV)

How can we, as Christ followers, pursue peace when our Lord and savior seems to say that we will not have peace? It's simple. We don't stop there. Jesus had much more to say on on the subject.

Jesus regularly brought peace into the conversation as he ministered to people. They would come to him because he was feeding people, healing people, or just working cool miracles they wanted to see. Often times the miracles were healing from physical ailments. As a part of the physical healing process, however, Jesus regularly pointed out the need for spiritual healing. He would give them that spiritual healing as well. The result was peace.

"Your faith has healed (saved) you. Go in peace." (Luke 7:50; 8:48 NIV)

Jesus didn't desire for people to not have peace. He simply acknowledged that they didn't have peace. Not only that, he acknowledged that they wouldn't have peace...without him.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33 NIV)

We will spend more time on this tomorrow. Today, however, I am simply going to say this. Jesus wants us to have peace. That is why he came here and wrapped His divinity in humanity. This is why he taught us. This is why he laid down his life. When he ascended into heaven, this is why he sent His Spirit back to us. He wants to give us peace.

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:26-27 NIV)

How about you? Were you confused by Jesus' teachings about peace? Does it make more sense now? Are you confident that Jesus wants you to have peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment