Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Helping Us Pray

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.  (Romans 8:26 NKJV)

Have you ever just "had it" with a situation?  You don't know what to do.  You don't know what to say.  You're frustrated because you don't know what to do.  You want to say something, do something or even think something, but nothing seems right.  Then you remember that the preacher told you to turn to God in these situations in prayer.  "Oh God..." is all you are able to utter...then you go blank.  What do I say?  What do I ask for?  How do I even begin?

These are the moments that blow me away with God.  Sometimes situations seem overwhelming and helpless to me, but they never are to Him...and He wants to help.  At the very moment I realize that I cannot handle it, God reminds me that I don't need to.  He will.  That's His job...not mine.  It's like He comes along and picks up the weights that were piled on my shoulders and says, "Can I help you with those?"  The weight goes away.  The pressure is lifted.  I can talk to Him again.

My best experiences in prayer have been after I turn things over to Him - especially if I take the time to say more than, "Thanks God" before I leave.  After He relieves the pressure, I am able to pray more freely.  It's like we can begin our real conversation because that huge distraction is out of the way.  I can communicate more clearly.  I can hear His still small voice better.  I'm humble enough to listen.

Even when everything around me tries to stop my communication with God, His Spirit is willing to cut through the mess...intercede...so we can sit down and have a talk.  That's an amazing God.

No comments:

Post a Comment