Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

A Down Payment

We know that the earthly tent we live in will be destroyed. But we have a building made by God. It is a house in heaven that lasts forever. Human hands did not build it. During our time on earth we groan. We long to put on our house in heaven as if it were clothing. Then we will not be naked. While we live in this tent of ours, we groan under our heavy load. We don't want to be naked. We want to be dressed with our house in heaven. What must die will be swallowed up by life. God has made us for that very purpose. He has given us the Holy Spirit as a down payment. The Spirit makes us sure of what is still to come. So here is what we can always be certain about. As long as we are at home in our bodies, we are away from the Lord.  (2 Corinthians 5:1-6 NIrV)




I remember my dad telling me how he bought his first house.  This was the house we kids were all raised in.  It was a two story layout with 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, a living room, dining room, kitchen, and a full basement.  All the rooms were large by today's standards.  The cost?  $14,000


Dad and mom worked hard to be able to buy this place.  They both worked, bringing in a total of $100/week.  But they wanted their own home...a place to raise their children...a place to be a family.  The hardest part was going to be the down payment.  They borrowed some money from family and other money from an employer/friend.  They bought the house.  This was the place I knew as "home."


God has a "home" prepared for those of us who want to go there.  This home is worth far more than $14,000.  It's value is priceless.  It's not just a place we will call home for our childhood years.  It's a place we will call home for eternity.  This place is our new body...our new tent...our new home.


I can't afford a priceless home.  I can't even begin to think of a way to raise the down payment.  How do I purchase a new body that will not break down and will serve me well through all eternity?  I can't.  God can!  He did.


He gives me confidence that this next body is purchased for me and ready when my "old model" breaks down and stops working.  I don't have to pay the down payment or security deposit because He is buying it for me. He sends me the down payment now so I know that the rest of the deal is done.


His Spirit is that deposit.  The indwelling Spirit of God serves as a down payment, a security deposit, a guarantee.


My "new house" is purchased, ready, and waiting for me when I get there.  That's one less thing to remember to pack for the next life. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment