Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

A Year of Discipline

I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. (2 Timothy 1:5 NIV)

For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to walk together with God.  I've always been bad at being bad.  (Whenever I tried, I immediately got caught.)  Over the years, I've continued to learn what that looks like and, as a result, I find myself enjoying the walk more and more each day.

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. (2 Timothy 1:6 NIV)

In more recent years, I've been learning how to share this walk with others - helping them to walk together with God.  Sometimes I find myself using talents and gifts I knew I had.  Other times, I find myself stretching beyond my self-perceived gifts.

For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.  (2 Timothy 1:7 NIV)

This past year, I have spend a considerable amount of time doing "behind the scenes" work.  Some of this time has been spent using my learned skills in computer programming and system design.  Most of it, though, has been spent writing - an area I've always considered a weakness of mine.  I've worked pushed through with self-discipline in both areas, though, with the same purpose in mind.

So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God. (2 Timothy 1:8 NIV)

The result?  A new web site is being created and Beta tested by some people at Life Bridge.  Lesson material has been written that covers 7 Weeks of topics, 45 Daily Chapters, and over 85,000 words.  While this only represents about 1/3 of the topics envisioned for this project, it's been a real exercise in self-discipline and a great start to the project.  Why?  Because...

He has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace... (2 Timothy 1:9a NIV)

His purpose is that we walk together with Him.  My purpose is to empower more people to enjoy this walk together with Him.  So, the project continues.

In the meantime, I've cued up some of my past blog-posts to serve you as a sort of daily devotion between now and Easter.  At that time, I will check back with you and share more progress on the project.  Right now, I am praying for you and your walk with Him.

I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources He will empower you with inner strength through His Spirit. Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in Him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. (Ephesians 3:16-19 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment