Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Becoming One

That's why a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife. The two of them will become one.  (Genesis 2:24 NIrV)


There's more to this statement than just "one flesh" like I talked about a couple days ago.  "Becoming one" requires the purposeful intertwining of two lives.  We become one by sharing experiences with one another...easy ones and tough ones.  We become one when we love one another, even when the other is not being very lovable.  We become one when we choose to make our friendship more important than any other friendship in the world.  Becoming one is about priority, unity, commitment, friendship, and love.


When Traci and I were preparing to be married, I was quite concerned that I would not be able to hold up my end of "for as long as we both shall live."  My track record of finishing projects I started was not very good at the time, plus getting a divorce was just coming into vogue as something to do when things don't work out.  I didn't want to make a commitment that I wasn't sure I could keep, so it bothered me.


Over time, the fear faded away.  I started to realize that the strength in our lives didn't just come from the two of us.  The real power came from the "third strand" of the cord.  The real power came from God.  God wants us to be faithful to one another, so He always provides a path where we can remain faithful.  God wants us to be committed for life, so He always provides a path where we can be committed for life.  God wants us to be one, so He always provides a path where we can draw closer to one another.  All I need to do is choose to walk His path.  He does the hard part...clearing the way.


I haven't always chosen His path in our marriage.  There have been times I've looked at Traci as the enemy, fought for my own selfish desires, or ignored her role in my life at all. When I do, God always provides a path for me to take back to Him.  When she takes the path toward Him at the same time, we end up back together.  God has given us everything we need to become one.  I'm so glad we both chose to take that path.  The more I become one with her, the more I want to choose that path again.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that Pete.
    It also reminds me of the same language used to describe our marriage with God.

    ReplyDelete