Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cold


So...the temperatures dropped again.  We went from temps in the 50's to a temp of 15 today.  Rain turned into ice, then snow.  The wind was blowing enough to dry out many of the puddles before they became frozen sheets of ice.  Nonetheless, it's still gotten cold outside - cold, wind, light snow, and ice.

It seems like I encounter people on a regular basis who are struggling with the "cold" in life.  Not low temperatures, but low spirits.  They battle against negative thoughts, feelings, or events in their lives that try to bring them down and knock them away from a walk together with God.

Singing cheerful songs to a person with a heavy heart is like taking someone's coat in cold weather or pouring vinegar in a wound. (Proverbs 25:20 NLT)

God wants me to love my neighbor as myself.  Expressing this love is more than simply "being positive" or "upbeat" around people.  It includes listening to and caring about where they are coming from.  When I talk all the time, I run the risk of running over someone who may be hurting.  When I take the time to listen, I have a much better opportunity to be a blessing to them. 

If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat. If they are thirsty, give them water to drink. (Proverbs 25:21 NLT)

I want to be a person who notices when someone is fighting against the "cold."  I want to recognize when someone needs a coat, food, drink, or healing for their wounds.  I want to see people through the eyes of my Savior.  I want to help them to experience the love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment