Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Where Have You Been?

Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray. Later Simon and the others went out to find Him. When they found Him, they said, "Everyone is looking for You." (Mark 1:35-37 NLT)

Jesus often times used to confuse me.  Every time I thought I understood his life and ministry, I would read another passage of Scripture that would force me to change my picture.  This passage was one of those "change my picture" kind of moments.

I always imagined Jesus as this always-available, perfectly compassionate minister who helped everyone he could while he was here.  When I read this passage, I expected Jesus to say something like, "I'm sorry.  Who is looking for me?  Does someone need my help?"  Instead, he says something completely different.

But Jesus replied, "We must go on to other towns as well, and I will preach to them, too. That is why I came." (Mark 1:38 NLT)

He didn't go help or teach those who were looking for them.  He went someplace else.  Why?

In another place, Jesus is speaking to the people in his own home town.  He goes to the Synagogue to read Scripture and teach.  Then, people expect him to perform miracles like he had been doing in other towns.  But he doesn't.  Instead he talks about another story from Scripture to let them know God is not calling him to do miracles in his own home town.  The people get furious at this "slap in the face" and try to kill him. (Read Luke 4:18ff for the full story).

Jesus' words and actions were always driven by the will of the Father.  "I don't speak on My own authority. The Father who sent Me has commanded Me what to say and how to say it. And I know His commands lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells Me to say." (John 12:49-50 NLT)  Jesus knew God's will for his life because of the priority he gave to knowing Scripture and the additional time he dedicated to prayer.

I want to know God's will for my life as well.  That is why I dedicate time each day to the reading of Scripture and to prayer.  Over the past few weeks, I have not been as consistent in my daily routines where I read scripture, share thoughts in my blog, pray purposefully for people in my life, then care through communications.  I could tell you the things that have distracted me from these daily routines, but ultimately the distractions don't matter.  They got in the way of me doing the things I know keep me following the will of God.

Some of you have noticed the prayer texts or blog posts stopping and have taken the time to ask me, "Where have you been?"  Thank you for noticing and asking the question.  Your question was a blessing to me and an encouragement to get back to it.  We all need friends who love the Lord and desire to do His Will.  Your questions and prayers have helped me get back on track.

Blessings to you as well,
Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment