Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Would you leave when he first calls?


As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow me," he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him. (Matthew 9:9 NIV)

I don't know if you're as amazed as I am, but these stories always blow me away.  Jesus asked people like Peter, Andrew, and, here, Matthew to come follow him.  They didn't hesitate.  They didn't ask questions.  They didn't argue with him.  They just went.  They just got up and followed him!

I think of all the ways I've been invited to follow Jesus - Christian concerts, church events, weekend services, small groups, and even opportunities to clothe the naked, feed the hungry, or house the homeless.  My response hasn't always been the most enthusiastic.  Early on in my walk, I would ask questions, look for excuses, and share my "reason" for not being "able" to participate "at this time."  Matthew didn't do any of these things.  No questions.  No calendar checking.  No excuses.  He just went.

My reactions weren't like Matthew or the others.  No, my reactions make me think of another person Jesus called...

Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments." "Which ones?" he inquired. Jesus replied, "'You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,' and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'" "All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?" Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. (Matthew 19:16-22 NIV)

I don't want to be a person who walks away when Jesus calls me to follow him.  I don't want to be a person who quits before things even get started.  I want to be like Matthew...a man who gets up and follows Him.

How about you?
Would you leave when he first called?

No comments:

Post a Comment