Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Wisdom, Not Age

So Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite spoke out and said, "I am young in years and you are old; Therefore I was shy and afraid to tell you what I think. "I thought age should speak, And increased years should teach wisdom. "But it is a spirit in man, And the breath of the Almighty gives them understanding. "The abundant in years may not be wise, Nor may elders understand justice. (Job 32:6-9 NASB)

I've been speaking to several of my student-friends lately who are fretting over their final exams coming up as the school year's end is drawing closer and closer.  Some are concerned about specific classes they are taking.  Others are looking forward to the completion of the year and receiving that ever-elusive piece of paper.  Some will graduate High School.  Others will be receiving a post-high school certificate, degree, or graduate degree.  The process and feelings are similar for all of them, though.  It's time to sprint to the end.

Thinking back to those days, I remember the pattern with a sense of accomplishment and more than a little joy in my heart.  I worked hard.  I overcame obstacles.  I succeeded at the work I set out to do.  It's a great feeling.  So I say to all of you who are working toward that end, "Keep your eye on the finish line."  Finish that race.  It's worth it.

I guess there's one more thing I'd like to share as well.  Run with God in this final sprint.  It will make all the difference in the world.

You see, the pattern you are living through now will be a pattern you repeat throughout life.  For everything, there are times of planning, anticipation, preparation, learning, working, pushing hard, and finishing.  During each of these phases in the seasons of life, we can decide to live them out with, or without, God.  I can tell you from experience.  Each phase and every season of life is better with God - whether busy or not.

Wisdom doesn't come from getting older.  It doesn't even come from the classroom or the degrees you earn.  It comes from God and it's available to you as early as you are willing to accept it.  I've met many a grey-haired person who never learned from their life-lessons nor from the wisdom He offers. 

On the other hand, I've met many a young person who is "wise beyond their years" because they've chosen to sit at His feet and learn from the Master Teacher.  Be one of those people.  Accept His wisdom.  Make time for Him in your busy schedules.  Rest in Him.  It's worth it.  It will be the best choice you've ever made.

I'm praying for you now - that you will see Him through this "home stretch."

Sprinting with you,
Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment