Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Taking Time to Pray

Don't worry.  I'm not quitting.  I know I've backed down on the Facebook, twitter, and blog posts this week.  But there's a reason.  I'm in Cincinnati with my family spending a few days in rest and renewal.  I'm spending some good time in the Word...and in prayer...

...Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. (Luke 5:16 NIV)

When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." (Luke 3:21-22 NIV)

One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God. When morning came, he called his disciples to him and chose twelve of them, whom he also designated apostles: (Luke 6:12-13 NIV)

About eight days after Jesus said this, he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray. As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning. Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem. (Luke 9:28-31 NIV)

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Simon and his companions went to look for him, and when they found him, they exclaimed: "Everyone is looking for you!" Jesus replied, "Let us go somewhere else--to the nearby villages--so I can preach there also. That is why I have come." So he traveled throughout Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons. (Mark 1:35-39 NIV)

After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it. Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. (Matthew 14:23-25 NIV)

Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." (Matthew 26:36 NIV)

Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.  (Matthew 19:13-15 NIV)

Amazing things happened when Jesus prayed.  The heavens opened up, the twelve Apostles were chosen, Moses & Elijah appeared, he walked on water, he healed the sick, raised the dead, forgave sins, and even laid down his life for the salvation of all...after he prayed.

I'm taking the time in prayer to prepare for the next steps in ministry.  God is already doing amazing things in and through His people.  I'm confident He will do even more...after we pray. 

I'm looking forward to this Sunday and next week.
I'm praying that we will see one another and encourage one another in our walk with Him.

Pray also for me, that the message may be given to me when I open my mouth to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel. (Ephesians 6:19 HCSB)


No comments:

Post a Comment