Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Should I Quit Trusting?

I had a friend of mine who once pointed out that people don't live like Christians because they don't have enough faith.  He went on to explain that if a person really believed this or that or the other thing, they would live as though it were true.  But because they believe something else, their words and actions give them away.


I've thought about that a lot over the years in my previous church, seminary studies, and throughout this ministry in Valpo.  I've read books on the subject, listened to preachers teach it, and even searched the Scriptures to see what it says.  My friend was right.  He was speaking truth.


In yesterday's blog post, "Should I Quit Trying?", I looked at Peter's words about the things we need to add together to keep us from being "ineffective and unproductive" in knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  What was the first item in the list?  Faith.


Where do I really believe God is in all this?  I want to quit.  What does He want?


When I first met my wife, Traci, she would quote her favorite memory verse to me.  It soon became my first memory verse.  "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  (Romans 8:28 NIV84)  I didn't believe it back then.  Do I believe it now?  Do I trust that He will work all things together for my good if I simply love Him and follow His purpose?

Jesus himself didn't trust the people around him (See: Not Trust. Love.), but he did trust his Father in heaven.  He trusted Him so much that he was willing to follow a plan that would end in his death, trusting that his Father would raise him up on the third day.  Paul said, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV84)  This reaction to bad circumstances requires great amount of trust. What about me?  Do I trust God's plan?

Peter said, "So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world." (1 Peter 1:6-7 NLT)  Do I really trust that these trials will only burn off the "impurities" in my life, leaving behind pure faith that will result in praise, glory, and honor on the day Jesus returns?

It's more than believing that there is a God.  Even the demons believe that and shutter.
It's more than believing in God.  Faith without works is dead.
It's about trusting Him...in all circumstances.


Do I trust Him?
Do you?
Should we quit?

No comments:

Post a Comment