Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Don't Look Back

Still another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say good-by to my family." Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."  (Luke 9:61-62 NIV84)

Looking back can be a dangerous thing.

Have you ever been driving your car and spent too much time looking back over your shoulder?  (Sometimes it's the traffic around you, but more often than not its your kids in the back seat!)  I've had more than one near miss when I turn back around, only to find the car in front of me has come to a complete stop!  Thankfully, I've been able to stop each time before crunching into the back end of the car in front of me.  But it could have just as easily gone the other way.

God makes it very clear that following Him is an all or nothing proposition.  Jesus said when we follow him we don't know where we will live, but he will provide for our needs.  When we follow him, it needs to be more important than even our closest family.  When we follow him, we start now...and don't look back.  Lot's wife looked back and she turned into a pillar of salt.  Looking back can be a dangerous thing.

When I was younger, I remember singing a hymn that reminded me of this principle:

I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
No turning back
No turning back

How about you?
Will you follow him?
Are you all in?
No turning back?

No comments:

Post a Comment